Assistant General Manager
Assistant General Manager
Big Tree Inn
Restaurant - Food Service, Hospitality - Hotel
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Problem Solving - Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Customer Service - Responds to requests for service and assistance.
- Interpersonal – Ability to interact with a broad range of individuals and groups and works as a team member. Maintains confidentiality.
- Oral Communication - Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions.
- Written Communication - Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Business Acumen - Displays orientation to profitability.
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Contributes to profits and revenue; Conserves organizational resources.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments - Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Judgment - Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform the essential duties of the position. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Minimum -- Associate's degree or equivalent from a two-year college or technical school and 3-5 years related experience with management responsibilities.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, and volume.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have a working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, POS and property management systems.
Certificates and Licenses:
ServSafe certification (within 6 months in position)
Assists the General Manager to manage all areas of the hotel, with specific emphasis on the restaurant and tavern, in order to achieve a friendly atmosphere of superior guest service and product quality. The Assistant General Manager is directly responsible to plan, organize, direct, and coordinate the workers and resources for efficient, well-prepared, and profitable service. This includes training, supervision, and support of all the restaurant staff, bar staff, catering events and kitchen staff (when the Executive Chef is not on shift) in ensuring excellent service. Special emphasis is placed on accommodating guest preferences, flexibility with work assignments, efficiency, quality, and social demeanor that contributes to a hospitable environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Set standards of excellence for all employees including customer services, assisting with day-to-day servicing of guests as necessary
- Responsible for specific segment of catering events to include events of 50 or fewer counts. Excludes campus divisional VP and Presidental events
- Directs hiring, training and scheduling
- Assist with functions of payroll administration
- Adhere to all rules, regulations, and policies of the Big Tree Inn
- Enforces sanitary practices for food handling, general cleanliness and maintenance
- Makes recommendations on changes/improvements to processing and procedures. Ensures that no policies are implemented without the prior approval of the General Manager/HR Director
- Notifies General Manager of equipment and supplies needed
- Reporting of maintenance issues
- Ordering of liquor, beer and wine
- Weekly beverage inventory. Includes liquor, beer and wine from completion of purchase orders to receiving and monitoring inventory levels. Maintain par stocks of all applicable items
- Attends and participates in weekly forecasting meetings. Modified weekly schedules as necessary to maintain customer service based on sales forecast and business “in-the-moment"
- Investigates and resolves customer concerns as they arise
- Complies with all health and safety regulations
- Responsible for managing the staff, making sure that concerns are addressed on timely basis and that all staff follow policies and procedures
- Directly responsible for promoting and developing teamwork
- Interacts with guests daily and throughout all meal periods; inquiring about food, service, etc.
- Ensures responsible alcoholic beverage service to our guests
- Utilizes computer systems in ordering and inventory control
- Maintains a professional and positive image at all times