Asian Cuisine Sous Chef
Asian Cuisine Sous Chef
NCL Corporation Ltd
Restaurant - Food Service, Hospitality - Hotel
- Minimum of one year of experience working in all Asian techniques is required.
- Strong knowledge of Asian cooking philosophies and principles including but not limited to Chinese, Thai preparation is required.
- Comprehension of Asian starch compositions and applications is required.
- Ability to explain Asian cooking techniques
- Minimum of one year of experience in Asian cooking in a high volume hotel/restaurant is required.
- Intermediate to Advanced knowledge of all basic Asian cooking techniques is required.
- Intermediate to Advanced knowledge of herbs, spices and flavorings, is required.
- Intermediate to Advanced knowledge of all kitchen equipment, tools, and supplies is required.
- Minimum of one (1) year supervisory experience on cruise ship or high volume hotel/restaurant is required.
- Minimum of one (1) year experience in a high production volume restaurant/hotel is required.
- Minimum of three (3) years of general culinary experience is required.
- Intermediate to Advanced level English verbal and writing skills, including the proper use of English grammar is required.
- Intermediate to Advanced skills in typing and computer software skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, Fidelio, AS400, Micros) are required.
- Intermediate to Advanced experience and ability to convert recipes from metric to U.S. and vice versa for both volume and weight is required.
- Highschool Diploma or Foreign Equivalent is required
- Associates degree, Technical degree or foreign equivalent from a Culinary School is preferred.
- Flexibility to work any shift in any area of responsibility without notice
- Ability to provide leadership, motivation and training
- Passionate about hospitality and customer service driven
- Must have a professional appearance and good hygiene
- Respect for all co-workers and guests
- Pride in your work by creating positive energy, excitement and fun
- Able to work 7 days a week
- Demonstrate positive behaviors; smiling, being polite and courteous
- Able to develop a camaraderie with team members
- Ability to live in close quarters, share limited space with other cabin-mates
The Asian Sous chef is a direct link between the Executive Chef, Sous Chef and his/her assigned production areas and outlets. The Asian Sous Chef’s primary responsibilities are to ensure all communication, standards, policies, and expectations are communicated to his/her team and then executed flawlessly. He/she achieves the objectives through communication, organization, and training. The Asian Sous Chef’s enables his/her team by ensuring equipment and sanitation standards are always met, supplies and inventories are readily available, expectations are communicated, recipes are current, and training is on-going. The Asian Sous Chef’s is expected to be a “hands-on" supervisor who leads his/her team by example. The Asian Sous Chef’s is assigned to be directly responsible for one or more outlets or production areas in the following categories: Noodle Bar and Asian Restaurant. The Asian Sous Chefs should expect to be rotated into different areas with or without advance notice in regards business demands and career development. The Asian Sous Chef’s rotations are at the sole on discretion of the Executive Sous Chef and Executive Chef.
In order to consistently exceed guest expectations and provide the highest levels of product and services, additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
- Ensures all food is prepared fresh and is of the highest quality
- Strictly adheres to all recipes, methods and instructions from supervisor
- Ensures team reports to work on-time and in a clean uniform
- Maintains an organized and efficient flow of production, with regards to changes in forecasts and menus
- Ensures development of team members through on-going training
- Recognizes team members for successful achievements and contributions
- Coaches team members immediately and professionally to minimize deficiencies and provide encouragement
- Responsible for inventories to enable team members to successfully prepare mise en place
- Consistently checks temperatures in foods and follows proper procedures in regards to chilling, re-heating, and holding food.
- Maintains and reports waste log to supervisors on a daily/weekly basis
- Checks outlet(s) upon arrival to determine status of outstanding safety, or equipment issues
- Checks outlet(s) prior to leaving to ensure cleanliness, proper disposal/removal of food, and proper storing and labeling
- Maintains USPH/FDA standards
- Communicates and follows-through with appropriate departments to correct sanitation and or equipment issues
- Responsible for accuracy in daily inventories and requisitions
- Ensures proper rotation, storage temperatures, and proper storing procedures are observed
- Communicates with provisions to ensure successful coordination of requisitioning, and return to stocks, including variances, spoilage, and excess inventories
- Ensures all team members are properly equipped with uniforms, supplies, and tools
- Communicates with Food & Beverage team in regards to special events, changes in forecasts, etc.
- Keeps Executive Chef, Chef’s Personal Assistant, and Executive Sous Chef apprised of challenges productions and team members
- Ensures recipes are constantly updated to reflect changes created by availability or direction from Executive Chef
- Strives to continuously improve flow of production and all other outputs by submitting ideas in writing to Executive Sous Chef
- Continuously monitors food and labor cost in accordance with CBH
- Controls and decreases waste by maintaining logs to submit daily/weekly
- Adjust production levels to meet forecast demands
- Communicates with other departments to adjust production for joint product needs
- Delegates workload to subordinates fairly and consistently while continually striving to improve flow of production
- Adjusts scheduling appropriately in order to attend mandatory meetings
- Schedules regular focus meetings with subordinates to increase communication
- Continually maintains and updates daily and weekly reports in a timely manner
- Performs other related duties as assigned or as directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
- Must be familiar with the Safety and Environmental Protection Policy and the SEMS, and carry out the policies and procedures appropriate for his/her position.