Group Services Supervisor (Mandalay Bay)
Group Services Supervisor (Mandalay Bay)
MGM Resorts International
Hospitality - Hotel
It is the primary responsibility of the Group Services Supervisor to oversee the daily operation of the Group Services department, to resolve guest challenges by exceeding their expectations, and to perform all assigned duties/functions in accordance with established guidelines/ procedures.
- Ensures the assigned operational functions of Group Services are consistent with the strategic plan and vision for the department, the division, and Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino.
- Manages and monitors daily labor, departmental budget, operations of Group Services, and marketing strategies to produce both short-term and long-term profitability for Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino, while meeting departmental needs and objectives.
- Manages the delivery and measurement of guest service is consistent with established departmental guidelines/standards.
- Provides input into the research, development, evaluation, and implementation of new products, services, technology, and processes to ensure Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino's competitive position in anticipation of changing customer needs within the dynamic hospitality/gaming environment.
- Manages Human Resources responsibilities for Group Services to include:
- creating a work environment that creates teamwork
- performance feedback
- mutual respect and employee satisfaction
- recommendations for quality hiring that encompass the company's diversity commitment
- Works closely in mentoring/coaching Lead Specialist Group Services in additional tasks/responsibilities to optimize advancement opportunities available for subordinate staff.
- Oversees the daily execution and distribution of reports to ensure accuracy and timeliness.
- Works closely with the Director of Group Services in the development of supervisory staff in regards to leadership, consistency, training, writing skills, and overall departmental standards and policies.
- Prepares the formulation and justification of the departmental budget, providing documentations for new programs/expenditures, as needed.
- Maintains effective communications with operational departments to effectively resolve any situations which may impact guest service.
- Closely monitors, and manages, group blocks, pick-ups, and blind cuts, as necessary. Advises Director of Group Services and the Director of Revenue Management of any historical patterns and circumstances which may negatively impact room inventory/revenue.
- Attends meetings with clients and Mandalay Bay staff as needed, acting as a key liaison between Sales/Convention Service Managers, group contacts, and meeting planners.
- Creates a work environment that promotes teamwork, recognition, mutual respect, and employee satisfaction.
- Works closely in mentoring/coaching Group Services staff in additional tasks/responsibilities to optimize advancement opportunities available for subordinate staff.
- Monitors Lead Specialists Group Services and Group Services Specialist work schedules, enforces break/lunch schedules, provides early-outs and overtime based on budgetary guidelines, volume, forecasts, and departmental needs.
- Monitors Group Service Specialists' activities for quality assurance. Evaluates Group Service Specialists' performance and provides coaching/progressive counseling when applicable; conducting annual performance appraisals as required.
- Maintains complete knowledge of, and complies with, all departmental policies, service procedures, and standards.
- Develops/maintains current knowledge/familiarity with all hotel services/features and local attractions to respond to guest inquiries.
- Provides guest resolution for all issues/concerns beyond the scope of authority designated to Group Service Specialists, in an expedient and professional manner, exceeding expectations, and ensuring guest satisfaction.
- Assists the Group Services Manager with daily administrative duties, as needed/requested.
- Promotes a free exchange of ideas among employees to continuously improve guest service and job satisfaction
- Advises management of any discrepancy, potential security issue, and/or area of concern which may have a negative impact on the department/property.
- Maintains constant awareness of safety and accident prevention.
- Ensures all equipment and work areas are kept stocked, clean, neat, and in working order.
- Inventories supplies and ensures necessary items are ordered, as needed.
- Completes all projects assigned by management in a timely and professional manner.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationship with all departments within Mandalay Bay Casino & Resort.
- Performs assigned duties during emergencies. Ability to work under pressure, or in an emergency, in a calm and rational manner.
- Trains Group Service Specialists, as necessary, to ensure departmental standards are met.
- Performs all of the functions of a Group Service Specialist at a high level of expertise, offering technical guidance/assistance as needed.
- Closely monitors inventory availability.
- Monitors content of all channels of distribution, recommending updates/modifications, as needed.
- Works with the Corporate Leisure department, sales, and marketing to ensure necessary modifications are made on a timely basis.
- Performs all other job related duties as requested.
- An understanding of legal ramifications of various employee/guest actions, both in bargaining and non-bargaining unit environment.
- Strong leadership abilities, sound judgment, superior decision making and problem solving skills to effectively manage the department(s).
- A pro-active management style that looks beyond problems and current practices to develop solutions to maximize the effectiveness of the department(s).
- Excellent understanding of general accounting principles to interpret statistical information.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; including writing correspondence and maintaining confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Excellent public relations skills, interpersonal skills, and effective listening abilities.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and project management skills, with particular attention to quality and detail.
- Ability to perform a myriad of duties with extreme care and attention to detail, while working in a fast-paced and busy environment.
- Maintain physical stamina, proper mental attitude, and ability to deal effectively with guests, management, employees, and outside contacts, while working under pressure and meeting deadlines.
- Neat and well-groomed appearance, adhering to Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino standards.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Able to lead and mentor a team.
- Have interpersonal skill to deal effectively with all business contacts.
- Professional appearance and demeanor.
- Work varied shifts, including weekends and holidays.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Able to effectively communicate in English, in both written and oral forms.
- Additional education at the college level associated with Hotel or Business Administration.
- At least 3 years supervisory experience at a major hotel/casino resort complex.
- Technical knowledge/understanding of hotel Property Management System (Opera) and Passkey.
Previous experience working in a similar resort setting.