Executive Sous Chef - Westin Princeville
3838 Wyllie Road
Restaurant - Food Service
Vistana Company Overview
Vistana Signature Experiences, Inc. (Vistana) is a leading developer, owner and operator of 22 high-end vacation ownership resort properties. Founded in 1980, Vistana is the exclusive licensee of the Sheraton® and Westin® brands in vacation ownership and uses related trademarks under license from Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. Vistana offers its more than 220,000 owners Gold status in the industry-leading Starwood Preferred Guest® (SPG) program and drives value for guests by delivering exceptional levels of service and programming that are unique to the brands and distinct in the market. Headquartered in Orlando, Florida, Vistana is an operating business of ILG, Inc. (Nasdaq: ILG), a leading global provider of professionally delivered vacation experiences. For more information, please visit: https://www.vistana.com.
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort - 3838 Wyllie Rd, Princeville, HI 96722
The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas lies along a lush cliff resting two hundred feet above the Pacific Ocean on the north shore of Kaua'i. The Westin Princeville is an upscale Resort which provides a thoughtfully designed experience making the healthiest The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas lies along a lush cliff resting two hundred feet above the Pacific Ocean on the north shore of Kaua'i. The Westin Princeville is an upscale Resort which provides a thoughtfully designed experience making the healthiest choices irresistibly appealing.
A welcoming oasis to the savvy traveler, every innovative service aims to help guests thrive so they feel better than when they arrived: A truly restorative sleep in the world-renowned Heavenly® Bed, a Spa-like invigoration with the Heavenly® Bath, healthful indulgence from SuperFoodsRx menus and energizing exercise with WestinWORKOUT®. Westin ensures guests are well rested, well nourished and well cared for.
Direct food preparation, production and control for all food outlets and facilities at the hotel.
30% Responsible for enhancing the food product that is presented to guests. Make changes that respond to the marketplace and to guests' needs, both present and anticipated. Recommend changes to the food product. Use market research to develop new products.
20% Responsible for maintaining quality of food product and ensuring consistency in food delivery and standards.
15% Provide support of a specialist nature to the Executive Committee, particularly to the Director, Food & Beverage, and the Food & Beverage Manager. Work in support of team goals and measures effectiveness through the Food & Beverage profit and service performance of the hotel.
15% Responsible for the selection, training and development of the personnel within the department. Able to exercise hire and fire discretion within Vistana Signature Experiences policies. Oversee divisional matters as they relate to federal, state and local employment and civil rights laws.
10% Control the elements that determine profit and loss. Responsible for all major operating expenses. Set margins and manage the business against projections. Make decisions that relate to profit and loss. Responsible for the financial management of the operation.
10% Give direction and be responsible for the implementation of plans. Monitor effectiveness and introduce changes in response to the marketplace. Set targets, plan and schedule work and performance indicators that are typically productivity and efficiency measures.
Regular attendance in conformance with the standards, which may be established from time to time, is essential to the successful performance of this position. Employees with irregular attendance will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel. In addition, attendance at all scheduled training sessions and meetings is required.
Upon employment, all employees are required to fully comply with Vistana Signature Experiences rules and regulations for the safe and effective operation of the hotel's facilities. Employees who violate hotel rules and regulations will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the manager based upon the particular requirements of the hotel:
• Consult with the General Store Manager, Manager of Fun and Outlet Manager on a weekly basis as well as with other departments as necessary.
• Participate in long range planning.
• Participate, support and make recommendations for ongoing hotel programs with continuous improvement in networking.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
• Must be able to read and write to facilitate the communication process.
• Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Most tasks are performed in a team environment with the employee acting as a team leader. There is minimal direct supervision.
• Must possess basic computational ability.
• Must possess basic computer skills.
• Knowledge of computer accounting programs, math skills as well as budgetary analysis capabilities required.
• Extensive knowledge of menu development, insight into marketing, cost and wage control.
• Thorough knowledge of food products, standard recipes and proper preparation.
• Ability to analyze, forecast data, and makes judgments to ensure proper payroll and production control.
• Ability to supervise large staff and accomplish goals on a timely basis.
• Ability to conduct meetings, menu briefings and maintain communication lines between line staff and Director, Food & Beverage.
• Ability to effectively deal with internal and external customers some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy and collect accurate information to resolve conflicts.
• Ability to create recipes and support material, i.e., recipe cards, descriptions, and pictures, and to read and visualize same.
• Artistic ability to create theme menus, ideas for ice carvings, decorations, etc.
• Thorough knowledge of federal, state and local laws governing equal employment opportunity and civil rights, occupational safety and health, wage and hour issues, and labor relations, including, but not limited to the following statutes and their state and local analogues (where applicable): Title VII, ADEA, Equal Pay Act, Pregnancy Discrimination Act, FLSA, ADA, OSHA, FMLA, and NLRA.
• Most work tasks are performed indoors. Temperature generally is moderate and controlled by hotel environmental systems; however, must be able to work in extreme temperatures like freezers (-10°F) and kitchens (+110°F), possibly for one hour or more.
• Must be able to sit at a desk for up to 5 hours per day. Walking and standing are required the rest of the working day. Length of time of these tasks may vary from day to day and task to task.
• Ability to physically handle knives, pots, mirrors, or other display items as well as grasp, lift and carry same from shelves and otherwise transport up to 50 pounds to every area of the kitchen. Ability to perform cutting skills on work surfaces, topped with cutting boards, 3 to 4 feet in height (banquet kitchen, prep kitchen, bake shop, etc.). Proper usage and handling of various kitchen machinery to include slicers, buffalo chopper, grinders, mixers, and other kitchen related equipment.
• Ability to physically self-demonstrate culinary techniques, i.e., cutting, cooking principles, plate presentation, safety and sanitation practices.
• Ability to create, builds, handle, and dismantle displays up to 8 feet high, including ice carvings.
• The worker is subject to noise. There is sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above the ambient noise level.
• Must be able to exert well-paced ability in limited space and to reach other departments of the hotel on a timely basis.
• Must be able to lift up to 30 lbs. on a regular and continuing basis.
• Must be able to push and pull carts and equipment weighing up to 250 lbs. occasionally.
• Must be able to bend, stoop, squat and stretch to fulfill cleaning tasks occasionally.
• Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, bending, climbing, listening and hearing ability and visual acuity.
• Talking and hearing occur continuously in the process of communicating with guests, supervisors and subordinates.
• Vision occurs continuously with the most common visual functions being those of near and color vision and depth perception.
• Requires manual dexterity to use and operate all necessary equipment.
• Must have finger dexterity to be able to operate office equipment such as computers, printers, 10-key adding machine, electric typewriter, multi-line touch tone phone, filing cabinets, FAX machines, photocopiers, dolly and other office equipment as needed.
High school or equivalent education required. Minimum of two years of culinary schooling preferred.
Must have five years of prior experience as a Sous Chef with knowledge of most international and domestic dishes.
Licenses or Certificates
• Ability to obtain and/or maintain any government required licenses, certificates or permits.
• Certification as Executive Sous Chef or Certified Master Chef by a government accredited culinary agency.
• CPR certification and/or First Aid training preferred.
• State of Hawaii Tuberculosis Clearance card.
All employees must maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance per Vistana Signature Experiences.
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time.
At Vistana, we celebrate the diversity of people, ideas and cultures. We believe our differences are what make us better Ð a better place to work, a better place to grow, enabling a better way to see the world.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Company is committed to providing equal employment opportunities in all employment practices, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, age, veteran's status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. The Company complies with the law regarding reasonable accommodation for disabled employees and applicants.