National Market Intelligence Director - Education Industry - Work from Home
National Market Intelligence Director - Education Industry - Work from Home
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Job Requisition ID: 6501
The Product Planning, Development, and Marketing Group includes all the functional areas that work together to develop instructional materials that meet current pedagogical and market needs for PreK-12. Content is developed for a wide range of media formats, including interactive digital media as well as print. Colleagues within PDM have varying expertise including the following: subject-matter expertise across all academic subject areas, design, art and photo management, production management, quality assurance, content engineering, and permissions and licensing.
HMH is looking for a National Market Intelligence Director. The purpose of this role is to establish and maintain relationships with key DOE/SBE curriculum personnel as assigned to inform and ensure HMH initiatives, solution development, solution messaging, internal sales and marketing enablement plan, comprehensive and strategic marketing campaigns and professional services are based on accurate national/regional market segment intelligence and trends and customer needs.
This position works in close partnership with HMH Government Affairs, HMH Business Development, Sales Leadership, Solution Development, Market Research and Intelligence Strategic Market Research Manager, Market Insights Managers, Market Research Manager(s), Account Planning and Content Marketers within the/agency, Sales Enablement, Solution SMEs, Professional Services, the Competition and Analysis [team] and Regional Marketing Strategists to align market-driven, proactive customer-centric marketing activities with sales objectives, including state adoptions, open territory adoptions, and other key revenue growth initiatives.
- Establish and Maintain Assigned Key DOE/SBE/Appropriate Organization Relationships (35%)
- Establish and maintain relationships with key DOE curriculum personnel/SBE/market segments as assigned
- Develop and maintain deep understanding of market segment curricular framework(s) as assigned
- Attend DOE/SBE meetings as assigned
- Attend appropriate Professional/Political organization membership(s)/meeting
- Establish/Maintain KPIs for DOE/SBE Intelligence and Communication Strategy
- Establish DOE/SBE/market segment curriculum communication strategy/plan with the following HMH internal stakeholders:
- Appropriate HMH Government Affairs personnel
- Appropriate HMH Business Development personnel
- Solution Development
- Market Research and Intelligence (Strategic Market Research Manager, Insights Managers, Market Research Manager(s))
- Account Planning and Content Marketers within the/agency
- Sales Enablement
- Solution SMEs ( Product Marketing; CSG)
- Professional Services
- Competitive Analysis and Strategy [team]
- Regional Marketing Strategists
- Superior Communication and Collaboration (30%)
- Establish and maintain assigned DOE curricular contacts to ensure accurate intelligence is shared to support larger HMH initiatives/decisions and ensure alignment for all HMH marketing strategies/campaigns
- Establish and maintain appropriate professional and political organization(s) contacts to ensure accurate intelligence is shared to support larger HMH initiatives/decisions and ensure alignment for all HMH marketing strategies/campaigns
- Establish and maintain regular communication with appropriate HMH Government Affairs and HMH Business Development personnel
- Establish and maintain regular communication with Market Research and Intelligence Strategic Market Research Manager and Market Insights Managers to establish and ensure consistent customer-centric market segment intelligence is shared with Field Marketing Strategists/ sales leadership to ensure that marketing strategies and sales strategies are aligned and effective
- Establish and maintain strategic communication strategy with Account Planning and Content Marketers within the/agency to drive accurate, market-driven, customer-centric execution of campaign marketing plans
- Establish communication strategy/plan with Solution SMEs, Insights Managers and Competitive Analysis and Strategy [team] to keep abreast of key competitors to HMH, in particular those competitors who maintain a strong presence in assigned market segment/DOE/SBE
- Liaise with appropriate counterparts within PDM to ensure strong connection and flow of product information and development needs related to assigned market segment/DOE/SBE
- Liaise with appropriate counterparts in Sales Enablement to ensure strong connection and flow of market segment/DOE/SBE intelligence for AE training
- Liaise with appropriate personnel within Professional Services to ensure strong connection and flow of market segment
- Establish appropriate communication with Initiatives & Funding team members to ensure opportunities are shared/acted upon
- Provide counsel to Presentation Development team to ensure accuracies in messaging as necessary
- Work in partnership with Conferences and Events team to share market segment/DOE/SBE expertise and messaging for customer-facing events as necessary
- Establish/Maintain KPIs for Communications and Collaboration
- Other duties as assigned
- Professional, Industry and Product Knowledge (20%)
- Work closely with Insights Managers, Market Research and Intelligence Strategic Market Research Manager to establish and maintain expertise in assigned territory/market segment and knowledge of current national and regional education trends and issues
- Work closely with appropriate HMH Government Affairs personnel, HMH Business Development personnel and Insights Managers to establish and communicate strong points of connection between national trends and assigned DOE iterations/actions
- Work closely with Solution SMEs, Insights Managers and Competitive Analysis and Strategy [team] to keep abreast of key competitors to HMH, in particular those competitors who maintain a strong presence in assigned market segment/DOE /SBE assignment
- Work closely with Sales Enablement to develop a continuous path of learning to remain current on assigned HMH programs and services through training and various internal communication
- Establish/Maintain KPIs for Professional, Industry and Product Knowledge
- Marketing Campaign Contribution & Execution (15%)
- Provide timely DOE/SBE/Professional/Political organization counsel to Solution Development to ensure solution customizations are appropriate for distinct market segments
- Ensure the timely sharing of DOE/SBE/Professional/Political organization intelligence with Account Planning and Content Marketers within the/agency to ensure implementation of strategic, content-based marketing and promotional plans as appropriate to ensure maximum return on marketing investment
- When necessary, provide content for creative briefs for marketing campaigns that provide sound, data-oriented strategic reasoning, defined quantitative and qualitative goals, and appropriately aligned marketing tactics
- Drive the transfer of DOE/SBE/Professional/Political organization intelligence to strategic campaign plans and tactical and operational execution
- Work in partnership with Solution Development, the/agency and Product Marketing to ensure accuracy of market intelligence for targeted audience
- Establish/maintain KPIs for Campaign Contribution and Execution
- Establish and Maintain Appropriate T&E Budget
- Work with VP of Market Research and Intelligence to ensure appropriate and cost-effective HMH T&E guidelines are followed
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's Degree in curriculum, education policy, education, marketing, business management, communications, or related field (Master's Degree a plus)
- 7+ years in education sales or marketing experience, specifically in developing professional relationships and market-driven, customer-centric campaign plans that support solution-oriented selling methodologies
- Experience in K-12 educational services and products
- Superior verbal and written communication skills; exceptional presentation skills
- Superior inter-personal skills, in particular when working in DOE/SBE/Professional/Political environments
- Functional computer skills with specific expertise in Microsoft Office applications and Adobe Acrobat Professional
- Conceptual & analytical thinker focusing on prioritization, collaboration
- Decision-maker skilled at negotiation, problem solving, tactical execution
- This position will require about 35% of travel
- Might be in a stationary position for a considerable time (sitting and/or standing).
- The person in this position needs to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
- Must be able to collaborate with colleagues via face to face, conference calls, and online meetings.
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (NASDAQ:HMHC) is a global learning company dedicated to changing people's lives by fostering passionate, curious learners. As a leading provider of pre-KÐ12 education content, services, and cutting-edge technology solutions across a variety of media, HMH enables learning in a changing landscape. HMH is uniquely positioned to create engaging and effective educational content and experiences from early childhood to beyond the classroom. HMH serves more than 50 million students in over 150 countries worldwide, while its award-winning children's books, novels, non-fiction, and reference titles are enjoyed by readers throughout the world.
For more information, visit http://careers.hmhco.com
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in E-Verify. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, or other protected group status.