The Grand-Kitchen Supervisor-Tusayan, AZ
The Grand-Kitchen Supervisor-Tusayan, AZ
The Grand Hotel
4 Year Degree
Under direction of Culinary Service Manager this position is responsible to assist the Kitchen Manager and/or Assistant Kitchen Manager in coordination and efficient operation of the kitchen at The Grand Hotel Food and Beverage outlets during the assigned shift period, with an emphasis on food ordering, kitchen production, banquets, sanitation and training. In addition, this position supports the Kitchen Manager and/or Assistant Kitchen Manger in food preparation, cooking, storing, labeling, checking food temperatures, organizing coolers, placing/receiving orders, prep lists, recipes, and specs. It is anticipated that this person will be performing cooking duties 80% of the time and will be performing training and administrative duties 20% of the time.Responsibilities
- Fully understand and support Xanterra Mission Statement and Core Values.
- Responsible for assisting in overseeing the overall food production in the kitchen at The Grand Hotel Food and Beverage Outlets. Ensures maximize profitability, minimize legal liability and conforms to the regulations of Coconino Health Department.
- Responsible for effective enforcement of all Xanterra Tusayan, LLC F&B hospitality standards, procedures, policies and environmental program.
- Responsible for food being properly handled, ensure proper temperature controls and proper thawing. Maintain and review temperature logs on a daily basis; monitor temperatures of hot foot placed on the buffet. Discard those items found to be in the danger zone and record on waste sheets provided by Kitchen Manager
- Assist Kitchen Manager and/or Assistant Kitchen Manager in developing all recipe books, specs and necessary training manuals. Co-responsible for all food production in accordance with recipes or standards.
- Responsible for compliance with all health and safety regulations and enforcing sanitary practices for food handling, wearing personal protective equipment, general cleanliness, and maintenance of food service areas and dining.
- Must have a full understanding of company policies to be able to objectively observe and evaluate work performance of all employees on staff to ensure compliance, while providing a safe and healthy work environment.
- Must communicate with other F&B Managers, Kitchen Manager and/or Assistant Kitchen Manager regarding guests' concerns or complaints, employees' issues and/or concerns; maintenance repair needs; and suggestions for improvement on the efficiency and operation of the restaurant and business unit(s).
- Co-responsible for creating and maintaining a positive working relationship with Coconino Public Health Department and acting with vigilance in any areas dealing with concerns of public health.
- Must accommodate our guests in the most professional manner possible.
- Ensure that staff is adhering and in compliance with all prescribed Company, statutory/regulatory polices and procedures regarding worker safety (OSHA), food handling requirements, vehicle operation and risk management.
- In absence of Assistant Kitchen Manager, responsible for coaching and mentoring staff to a level of acceptable work performance. When necessary, confer with Assistant Kitchen Manager and/or Kitchen Manager and General Manger and/ or Assistant General Manager to provide the necessary written documentation for an employee's evaluation, corrective action reports and/or accident/injury reports.
- Support F&B Corporate Xanterra University, Serv-Safe classes by scheduling staff and assisting with conducting assigned classes. Enforce Serve-Safe and HACCP food sanitation program for entire food and beverage outlet kitchens.
- Under the direction of the General Manager and working with the Kitchen Manager and/or Assistant Kitchen Manager, oversee kitchen production in all food and beverage outlets to assure BOH labor, food and operational costs conform to budget limitations without sacrificing quality and perceived value for our guests.
- Under the direction of the Kitchen Manager and/or Assistant Kitchen Manager, oversee employees on your shift; ensure that all assigned side work and published cleaning schedules are being completed. Assist with production throughout the day during rush hours.
- Under the direction of Kitchen Manager and/or Assistant Kitchen Manager, assist with placing orders accurately and in a timely manner; both supplies and food product. Follow-up to ensure there is proper rotation of food product, storage and inventory of all food products; with the goal of cross-utilization of all food products to minimize waste, theft and to control spoilage while staying within budget.
- Under the direction of Kitchen Manager and/or Assistant Kitchen Manager, receive all orders; check delivery items with invoices and ensure proper handling, quality of product and stocking.
- Co-responsible with Kitchen Manager and/or Assistant Kitchen Manager and FOH Managers for efficient buffet set-up, maintenance and break down in accordance with current timetable. Follows staffing guides for FOH and sets up sections for the meal period. Working with Kitchen Manager and/or Assistant Kitchen Manager, make necessary adjustments based on staffing absences and last minute changes, such as increase/decreases in guest counts.
- Under direction of the Kitchen Manager and/or Assistant Kitchen Manager, responsible for conducting daily “Service Briefings” and training staff: proper evacuation procedures and how to execute plan timely, MSDS location and comprehension, Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) procedures, etc. Ensure staff is aware of any staffing issues, special events or equipment issues.
- Ensure all guest complaints (food quality and quantity and ticket times) and employee concerns/issues are investigated, resolved and handled in a professional manner; follow up with Kitchen Manager and/or Assistant Kitchen Manager, General Manager and/or Assistant General Manager.
- Perform periodic walk-through in the kitchens and dining areas of business unit(s); working closely with all FOH Managers. Kitchen Manager and/or Assistant Kitchen Manager to look at all areas of food service to ensure food quality, consistency, presentation, cleanliness and safety are maintained.
- Participate in quarterly F&B audits to determine areas and/or processes which may have opportunities for improvement.
- Under direction of Kitchen Manager and/or Assistant Kitchen Manager, may participate in End of Month Inventory.
- Responsible for completing accident reports thoroughly and communicating with the Risk Manager as soon as possible, following-up with the Kitchen Manager and/or Assistant Kitchen Manager and General Manager and/or Assistant General Manager.
- Ensure staff members adhere to all grooming and uniform standards; meeting the appearance standards as outlined in the Xanterra Tusayan, LLC Employees Handbook and departmental guidelines.
- Under direction of Kitchen Manager and/or Assistant Kitchen Manager, work closely with the Steward to continually train in all aspects of the kitchen.
- Apply thorough knowledge of food preparation, including organization of daily menu production with the focus of maintaining food quality, spec consistency and buffet/plate presentation.
- Under direction Kitchen Manager and/or Assistant Kitchen Manager responsible for scheduling of employee's as required to meet business needs; review with General Manager and/or Assistant General Manager to ensure schedules meet labor budget and guest demands.
- Under direction of Kitchen Manager and/or Assistant Kitchen Manager, assists with completing hourly staff annual evaluations in a timely fashion; review with General Manager and/or Assistant General Manager. Under direction of Kitchen Manager and/or Assistant Kitchen Manager to assist with periodic informal evaluations (HIGS), for FOH staff members on a bi-annual basis.
- Under direction of Kitchen Manager and/or Assistant Kitchen Manager, responsible for administering disciplinary actions fairly and consistently with the approval of General Manager and/or Assistant General Manager.
- Under direction of Kitchen Manager and/or Assistant Kitchen Manager, responsible for reviewing and daily approval of all FOH employee's time through Kronos.
- Ensure that staff is adhering to all Ecologix prescribed Environmental Management Systems (EMS) policies and corporate commitments to maintain ISO 14001 goals and guidelines; follow-up daily on recycle program and education of staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Two (2) years previous supervisory or lead cook experience in a high volume ala carte dining orinstitutional establishment with progressive cooking/menu development.
- Must have working knowledge of a kitchen with the ability to train employees in all kitchen positions; from ala carte preparation/presentation to batch cooking to prep work of entry level kitchen positions; with a goal of advancing staff within the kitchen.
- Prior experience with menu development, food production records, scheduling employees and inventory/cost controls.
- Must be able to successfully complete Coconino County Health Department's Food Managers course and Serv-Safe food sanitation course.
- Must have a good working knowledge of Microsoft Office software programs (Word and Excel) to communicate effectively; to approve Kronos, develop menus and document food production records.
- Must have good organizational skills with the ability to maintain flexibility in carrying out daily job duties, organize and manage multiple priorities and tasks while providing leadership to a diversified staff.
- Must possess good leadership and communication skills to effectively motivate staff to the expected Xanterra Tusayan, LLC standard of excellence in food preparation, guest service and meet Public Health compliance and effectively train employees.
- Must have the ability to quickly assess productivity levels for the prep cooks and dish area.
- Must have the ability to recognize safety hazards and correct unsafe situations immediately.
- Must be able to establish and maintain an effective professional working relationship with staff, co-workers, directors, and other departments; by working together in a positive work environment.
- Must possess good interpersonal skills with the ability to read, write, and speak English; communicate professionally, effectively and clearly face-to-face and in written communication with all levels of guests, staff, managers, Kitchen Manager and/or Assistant Kitchen Manager and General Manager and/or Assistant General Manager.
- Must be able to maintain acceptable level of performance and positive image, to complete tasks in a safe, professional, productive and efficient manner.
- Bachelor of Science degree in hotel/restaurant management is desirable. Will consider a combination of practical experience and education as an alternate.
- Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) language skills a plus.